If you’re wondering if this treat tastes as good as it sounds, let me tell you… it does! I’ve made a few different “butter cake” recipes over the years, and while I’ve liked them all I have never been obsessed with any until this one. The Lemon Butter Cake. It’s a simple batter with a straightforward cream cheese topping, and yet somehow it bakes into something absolutely heavenly. It’s moist, it’s rich, and it’s loaded with lemon flavor. I cannot stress enough that you really should make this recipe as soon as possible.
You’ll start out with the cake batter. It’s made from all the usual baking suspects and then the zest of two lemons and the juice of one (no skimping on the lemon flavor here!). Transfer the batter to a cake round or a pie dish, and then set it aside while you mix up the cream layer. You’ll want to mix a softened block of cream cheese until smooth and then mix in some powdered sugar, an egg, and the zest from the second lemon. Pour the cream over the batter and pop it in the oven for about 40 minutes or until the top is turning golden. Allow the cake to fully cool and set before slicing. I know it’s hard, but it’s worth the wait!
Lemon flavored treats always feel summery to me, but this dessert is sure to be a hit any time of year. Whether it’s for a holiday brunch, church potluck, or after dinner treat, get ready for folks to shower you with compliments and beg for the recipe. Luckily, it’s easy enough for anyone to make!
Lemon Butter Cake
15m prep time
40m cook time
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), melted
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 2 lemons, zested
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 lemon, zested
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9-inch cake pan or pie dish.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Add in the egg, vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt, then slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.
- Transfer batter to the prepared cake pan and set aside.
- For the cream layer: In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Slowly, add in powdered sugar until fully combined.
- Add eggs and lemon zest and mix until smooth.
- Top batter with the cream and spread into an even layer covering the top.
- Bake for 38-40 minutes or until just starting to brown on top.
- Allow cake to fully cool before slicing. Dust top with powdered sugar if desired.
Recipe adapted from Butternutbakeryblog.com