Pasta salad is an absolute summer classic in our book. No bbq, picnic, or potluck would be complete without it. There are countless delicious versions out there, but if you’re looking to dress up this summer staple a Layered Pasta Salad is a must-try! Vibrant layers of pasta, veggies, and ham are mixed with a tangy dressing for a salad that is sure to impress family and friends alike! It’s a make-ahead dish so you have one less thing to worry about when entertaining or trying to get out the door to your event.
The only step that requires more than chopping will be cooking that pasta. We’ve gone with a classic macaroni noodle, but any similar sized pasta will work! Boil your pasta just until al dente (no one wants a mushy salad), then drain and rinse the pasta. Allow it to fully cool before you begin assembling the salad so it doesn’t all stick together. In the meantime, chop the other veggies and prepare the creamy dressing. We recommend layering the lettuce and pasta on the bottom and the dressing and cheese on top, but you’re welcome to get creative with the middle layers!
Once the salad has been assembled, you’ll want to cover it and let it chill in the fridge for at least 5 hours. This gives the flavors time to meld together before serving. Set the dish out with layers intact so everyone can appreciate the beauty, then give it a good mix right before digging in. If you’re looking to impress at your next summer get-together, this recipe is just the thing. Give our Layered Pasta Salad a try and we’re sure you’ll agree!
Layered Pasta Salad
15m prep time
- 1/2 cup mayo
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups macaroni pasta, cooked and drained
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- Half of 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- ½ frozen green peas, thawed
- ⅓ cup chopped celery
- 1 ½ cups diced ham
- ⅓ cup black olives
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small bowl, mix together mayo, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, dijon, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper.
- In a large trifle bowl or glass dish, begin layering the ingredients: lettuce first, then pasta, peppers, red onions, peas, celery, ham, olives, dressing, and cheese.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 5 hours.
- Toss right before serving.
Recipe adapted from Lilluna.com