When you follow the keto diet or any low-carb diet, mac ‘n cheese is usually top on the list of things to avoid. Which makes sense, it is pasta. But this keto sausage mac ‘n cheese gets around that by subbing in cauliflower, mushrooms, and sausage. It’s not “mac” ‘n cheese in the traditional sense, but it is just as comforting and delicious. And that’s what really matters with mac ‘n cheese.
Making this keto sausage mac ‘n cheese isn’t like making it from a box. There are a few more steps involved, but it’s worth it. First, you’ll roast the cut cauliflower in the oven. Season however you like. I keep it simple with salt and pepper. Then, make the cheese mixture in a medium pot on the stove. Start with the cream, getting it up to temperature, then add the rest of the cheeses. Stir continuously until the cheese mixture is blended and smooth.
Add everything else to the cheese sauce and mix it all together. Place it in a good size baking dish of your preference. I like to use a round casserole dish with a lid to keep it warm after it’s done cooking. If you want to add a bit more crunch, you can crumble some pork rinds and sprinkle them over the top.
Baked it in the oven, with the lid off, until it gets golden brown. Remove and serve! This is a great lunch or dinner option for when you want something comforting and delicious. Enjoy!
Keto Sausage "Mac" 'n Cheese
10m prep time
30m cook time
- 12 oz cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 oz white cap mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 oz. cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 4 cups shredded cheddar
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, mix cauliflower with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Lay the cauliflower on a lined baking sheet and roast until slightly golden, about 30 minutes.
- Heat cream in a pot over medium heat on the stove. Once simmering, add cheeses and stir until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat, add hot sauce (if using), and season with salt and pepper.
- Fold in roasted cauliflower, mushrooms, and sausage, making sure to coat everything in cheese.
- Transfer mixture to preferred baking dish. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the top is golden.
Recipe adapted from Delish.