When it comes to hearty foods you can’t beat sweet potatoes for flavor and general likability. These tubers also pack a lot of vitamins A and C, potassium, and beta carotene among many other nutrients. Combined with crunchy kale, toasted almonds, and feta cheese this recipe for kale-stuffed feta sweet potatoes is a perfect main dish or side dish that is filling, healthy, and delicious all at the same time.
To start with bake your sweet potatoes in the oven for close to an hour until they are fork tender. If there’s one downside to these versatile root vegetables it’s that they are best when baked in the oven and that can take a while. But, it’s a hands-off process that makes this an easy dish to pull together on a busy night.
While the potatoes are baking chop and sauté your kale. For an extra easy take on this recipe you can buy bagged and chopped kale and just pop it into the pan.
Any curly leaf kale will work well here and I personally prefer to leave the ribs (or stems) in. Especially for a dish like this where the texture is soft the bite of those stems is just the right level of crunchy.
This dish also gets a nice crunch from toasted almond slivers. Once the potatoes are tender cut each one down the middle and scoop out the insides. Combine the sautéed kale with the almonds and then spoon the filling back into the potatoes. Then they get baked a little bit longer.
Sprinkle feta cheese over the piping hot potatoes and garnish with a bit of parsley if desired. Since sweet potatoes are often quite large each one could be a main dish. Or you can cut them in half if this is your side dish. For a wholesome take on the twice baked potato these are incredibly satisfying and are a nice savory way to enjoy the beloved sweet potato.
Kale-Stuffed Feta Sweet Potatoes
15m prep time
1h 7m cook time
- 4 sweet potatoes, washed and dried
- 1 bunch curly kale such as Italian, Siberian, or Savoy, washed and dried
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup toasted almond slivers, chopped
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Place sweet potatoes on baking sheet or pan and bake for 45-55 minutes. Potatoes should be fork tender.
- While potatoes bake heat olive oil over medium heat. Chop kale into bite sized pieces. Add kale to pan and sauté for 5 minutes and add garlic powder. Add salt and pepper.
- When potatoes are done remove from oven. Split down the middle and scoop out the insides. Add to large bowl along with kale and almonds. Stir to combine. Add mixture to potatoes and bake for 10-12 minutes. Top with feta cheese and parsley and serve piping hot.
Recipe adapted from Skinny Ms.