It might not be the fanciest dessert out there, but there’s something so comforting about jello that we get excited every time we make it. While there’s nothing wrong with simply whipping up a bowl of brightly colored gelatin, we decided to take things a step further and create these adorable jello aquariums. Using unflavored gelatin, lemon-lime soda and blue food coloring – plus, a little help from some of your favorite candies – we created a little under water oasis. This dessert is easy and ridiculously cute, so dust off your mason jars and make your own…these little aquariums will make your day!
15 minutes active; 4 hours inactive to prepare serves 4
- 3 cups lemon-lime soda, divided
- 4 packets unflavored gelatin
- blue food coloring, as desired
- jelly beans
- Swedish fish
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, boil 1 cup lemon-lime soda.
- Sprinkle 4 packets gelatin in a large bowl and whisk in boiling soda. Whisk for 5 minutes, or until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Pour in remaining 2 cups soda, then add in desired amount of blue food coloring. Stir until fully incorporated and desired color is achieved.
- Place a small handful of jelly beans into 4 mason jars or clear bowls. This will be your rocky ocean bottom.
- Divide jello mixture into mason jars. Optional: strain mixture into jars to reduce air bubbles.
- Place mason jars in refrigerator and let set for 4 hours.
- Remove mason jars from refrigerator and use a small paring knife to cut a pocket into the gelatin. Gently push 1-2 Swedish fish into jello.
- Return to refrigerator to set for another 1 hour, or serve immediately. Enjoy!