There is such a simple joy in sitting down to a bowl of cereal in the morning, don’t you think? We especially love the sweet and crunchy combination of cornflakes, but they aren’t just for breakfast anymore. Because of their signature crunch, they make a fantastic casserole topping, coating for chicken, a surprise element in many desserts… and an extra special addition to these cookies! We just can’t get enough of them. With a sweet and tart bite of jam and the chewy and crunchy combination of cookie and cornflakes, these cookies combine all the goodness of breakfast cereal with the sweet comfort of a cookie.
The unexpected crunch of the cornflakes is what makes these cookies so unique, so when you go to crush them, make sure you’re just crunching them up lightly and not turning them into dust. You want them to retain enough of their shape so that they hold their crunch. Around here, these cookies always seem to just disappear off the plate. We think they’re a great departure from the usual chocolate chip or oatmeal varieties. They’re buttery, crispy-crunchy, and just sweet enough. So start thinking beyond the cereal bowl and give these a try!
Jam & Cornflake Cookies
Serves 48; 40 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cornflakes, lightly crushed, divided
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup berry jam
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high until light and fluffy. Add in egg and vanilla, mix until combined.
- Using a spatula or spoon, fold in the flour mixture and 1/2 cup of crushed cornflakes. Chill dough in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, lightly roll dough into balls, about two teaspoons each. Make an indentation in each ball with your finger and fill scantly with berry jam. Using your hands, gently close dough back into a ball. (It’s okay if the jam shows through a bit, it doesn’t need to be perfect.)
- Lightly roll balls in remaining crushed cornflakes to coat. Place them onto baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake until a light golden brown, about 22-25 minutes.
- Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!
Adapted from No Frills Recipes.