We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again, we love breakfast and brunch, but we hate getting our whole family together just to spend the morning standing over the stove while everyone else eats. We want to be able to enjoy the meal with our family! Which is why it’s essential to have recipes on hand that taste great and are quick to put together…like this jalapeño popper breakfast casserole.
Do you like jalapeño poppers? You know, those bacon-wrapped, cream cheese-stuffed jalapeños that get baked or fried to perfection and are perfect for popping into your mouth in one fell swoop – we can’t get enough of these! And that’s exactly why we decided to turn this favorite snack into a breakfast dish that’s perfect for feeding a crowd. With eggs, heavy cream, jalapeños, bacon, cream cheese and cheddar cheese, this breakfast has it all! Plus, it’s not only great in the morning, it’s also an awesome choice for lunch or dinner, or anytime you want something protein-packed and full of flavor.
Instead of taking the time to individually fill each jalapeño with cream cheese, we just sliced up the peppers up, baked the bacon in the oven – pro tip: never fry your bacon again, just pop it in the oven and avoid all splatters, plus enjoy even cooking! – then drop pieces of cream cheese into the egg mixture and bake it all together. That’s it! It takes 40 to 45 minutes for this dish to cook, but then you’ve got a breakfast that you can slice up and serve everyone at the same time, enjoying it and everyone’s company at the same time.
Jalapeño Popper Casserole
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 fresh jalapeños, seeds removed, sliced, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Whisk together eggs, heavy cream and 1/2 cup cheese in a large bowl, then season with onion and garlic powders, salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture into greased baking dish, then drop cubed cream cheese into mixture.
- Top egg bake with sliced jalapeños.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes, then sprinkle with remaining cheese and crumbled bacon, then return to oven for another 15 minutes, or until cheese has melted and center is set.
- Top with cilantro and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Easy Family Recipes