Casseroles and pies are some of the most versatile and delicious dinner ideas around and this Italian chicken pie is no different in that regard. But, instead of using pasta like so many other Mediterranean casseroles do, this one gets a hearty crust on top that makes this a more substantial dish.
The bottom of this pie is layered with Parmesan cheese, which adds a nice flavor and texture. On top of that comes a mixture of chicken, tomato sauce, shredded mozzarella, and spices. If you didn’t have cooked chicken on hand you could use cooked Italian sausage or spiced ground beef. That’s the beauty of making casseroles: it’s so easy to swap out ingredients.
It already sounds delicious, but then the next layer is the yummy biscuit topping, which adds so much to this recipe. What we used for this pie is basically a scaled down version of this homemade Bisquick recipe.
You could adapt this dough to suit your family by adding garlic powder or rosemary to it, but it’s excellent with only the salt and pepper in the basic dough.
After the dough is mixed and then spread on top of the chicken and sauce the casserole is baked for 35 minutes. Then, the last of the shredded mozzarella is sprinkled on top and the whole thing baked again for up to 10 minutes to melt the cheese topping.
This recipe is one that is very much a crowd-pleaser. Served with a side salad or some veggies and you’ve basically got dinner all wrapped up. As much as we all love pizza and pasta, it’s nice to have an Italian alternative so that we don’t get burned out. With Italian chicken pie you get a new take on classic comfort food that’s just about everything you could want in a savory suppertime pie.
Italian Chicken Pie
20m prep time
45m cook time
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, dried oregano, and garlic powder
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Grease 9-inch pie plate or casserole dish.
- Combine chicken, 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, herbs, and tomato paste, and tomato sauce in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese into bottom of pan. Pour chicken mixture over parmesan.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, pepper, salt, and baking powder together. Add oil to dry ingredients and combine. Then add milk and egg and stir until batter is just combined.
- Pour batter over chicken mixture and even out with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove dish from oven and sprinkle with the rest of mozzarella cheese. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese topping is completely melted.
- Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker.