I would be lying if I didn’t say that most of my experience with Swedish Meatballs came from the Ikea food court. It’s where I first tried them, it’s certainly where I first fell in love with them, and it’s what inspired me to start making them at home. Since these are paired with tender egg noodles, our Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs are not really a copycat of the Ikea ones, but they do share the same delicious combination of meatiness and a savory cream sauce. And thanks to the magic of the Instant Pot, this all comes together in a single pot – noodles, meatballs, and sauce!
What I’m trying to say is that this is one of those meals that is both easy and delicious, and isn’t that what we’re all always looking for? Since it uses frozen pre-made meatballs, there is little more for you to do here than stir a few things together. It’s a twenty minute dinner, and it’s one that the whole family is always happy about.
What you’ll want to do is combine your meatballs, beef broth, and seasoning in the insert of your pressure cooker and give everything a stir. And here’s a great thing – you don’t even have to thaw the meatballs. Just throw ’em in frozen. You add the egg noodles by scattering them on top in an even layer and gently pressing them down into the broth. They won’t be submerged, but that’s just fine, they’ll cook through perfectly. Just make sure to use broad egg noodles here, the thinner ones run the risk of getting too mushy.
The cook time for this whole dish is just three minutes, but since the Instant Pot takes time to build and release pressure you’re looking at just twenty minutes total. Twenty minutes for a meal this delicious seems to good to be true, but in this case tasting is believing.
Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs and Noodles
5m prep time
15m cook time
- 1 lb frozen beef meatballs, thawed or not
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 cups broad egg noodles
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In the insert of your Instant Pot, combine meatballs, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add noodles on top in an even layer and gently press down, do not stir.
- Close lid and turn valve to sealing. Select Manual and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- When cook time is over, let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then switch valve to venting. Once pressure has released, remove the lid.
- Whisk together cream, corn starch, and sour cream and stir into meatballs. Turn Instant Pot to saute and cook until sauce has thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Recipe Rebel.