Did you know: a la mode means “fashionable” – but in the US we know the phrase as a scoop of ice cream served along side a dessert (cake or pie). A slice of cake served a la mode is great, but why not bring those two worlds together into one beautiful combination of deliciousness. When food is served in layers, we know we’re in for a treat. Everyone’s familiar with icebox cakes and even ice cream cakes, and if this ice cream brownie cake is something you’ve made before, then you know just how good it is. What we’re serving up here is layer upon sweet layer of goodness. This is a cake meant for a celebration or any special occasion, and when a plain ol’ cake simply won’t do.
We start with a layer of brownies, baked to chewy perfection and cooled, then top it with our favorite ice cream – in this case it’s mint chocolate chip, but pick your favorite flavor. The pan goes into the freezer to set and get ready for the next step, a layer of hot fudge, which adds extra chocolate gooeyness. Then back to the freezer again to prep for the third layer: whipped cream. One more turn in the freezer and now the final step is to add chopped chocolate mint candies over the whipped cream. Once every layer has set, cut into squares and dig in!
Caramel or butterscotch sauce would be amazing here as well, and of course choose your favorite ice cream flavor. Ice cream cakes can be custom made for any special event. The hardest part about making this is waiting for each layer to set, so a little patience is required, but so well worth the wait. What makes this cake so special is that the ingredients are super simple, and the finished product is guaranteed to bring a few oohs and aahs from family and friends. Great for any special occasion, or just for the fun of it, ice cream brownie squares are a layered version of a la mode, and we’re definitely loving it!
Ice Cream Brownie Cake
- 1 (16 oz) box brownie mix
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 (1.5 quart) carton mint chocolate chip ice cream
- 1 (12 oz) jar hot fudge sauce
- 1 (8 oz) package frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 cups mini chocolate chips
- Andes Mints, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9x13-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Pour brownie mix into a large bowl, add eggs, water, and oil. Stir until ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Pour batter into baking dish and spread evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes (according to package directions) until toothpick inserted in center of pan comes out clean. Cool brownies completely.
- While brownies bake, set ice cream on counter to soften, about 20 minutes. Stir to a spreadable consistency. Pour over top of cooled brownies and place pan into freezer, at least 1 hour.
- Once ice cream has set, warm hot fudge in microwave and stir to smooth. Pour layer of hot fudge over ice cream, spreading to completely cover. Return pan to freezer, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Thaw frozen whipped topping and stir until smooth. Remove pan from freezer and spread whipped topping over top. Garnish with chopped chocolate mints.
- Return pan to freezer for at least 2 hours, longer is better, before cutting into squares to serve.
Recipe adapted from Glorious Treats