While hot chocolate tastes good at any time of year, there’s something about it during those cold winter months that makes it just the elixir you need. It turns a bad day around, makes you excited for those frosty days, plus, it instantly makes whatever you’re doing in that instant so much cozier. What’s not to love? While we always know we can turn to our favorite drink to make us feel all the warm and fuzzies, but we decided to bump things up a couple notches and spin this into a whole new sweet confection.
Double hot chocolate lush. That’s right, we packed two times the hot cocoa goodness into this dessert – a four-layered force of nature. We started with an oreo crust, then hit the ground running with a hot chocolate mousse layer, then doubled down with a hot chocolate (with marshmallows!) pudding layer. Top it all off with frozen whipped topping and more marshmallows and you’ve got a ridiculously yummy dessert that will knock everyone’s socks off.
Now this is a dessert that needs a bit of time. While each individual layer comes together quickly and EASILY, they do need to chill in between so that each one sets fully. Trust us when we say: this is simple to put together and the payoff is amazing! It tastes rich, decadent and luscious, and is the perfect thing to make when you’ve got the family home on a snow day – everyone will love it!
Hot Chocolate Lush
20 minutes active; 3+ hours inactive
- 36 oreo cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Hot Chocolate Mousse:
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 (0.73 oz.) packets instant hot cocoa mix
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Chocolate Pudding:
- 2 (3.8 oz.) packages chocolate instant pudding mix
- 2 3/4 cups cold whole milk
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 (16 oz.) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- chocolate syrup or fudge sauce, as needed for garnish
- Place oreos in bowl of food processor and pulse 2-3 times to break down. Add salt and melted butter and pulse again until mixture resembles damp sand.
- Turn mixture out into a 9x13-inch baking dish and press into an even layer, then transfer to refrigerator to chill.
- For mousse layer: beat cream cheese and butter together in a large bowl for 3-4 minutes, or until completely smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract, beating until fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, sprinkle hot chocolate packets into heavy whipping cream, then beat mixture until stiff peaks form.
- Working in batches, fold whipped cream mixture into cream cheese cheesecake mixture, folding until just combined, then spread into an even layer on top of chocolate crust and refrigerate until set.
- For pudding layer: whisk together cold milk and chocolate pudding mix in a large bowl, stirring for 2-3 minutes, or until mixture starts to thicken, then fold in mini marshmallows.
- Spread mixture over mousse layer in baking dish, then return to refrigerator or place in freezer to set. 2-3 hours.
- Top set pudding layer with thawed frozen whipped topping, spread into an even layer. Optional: chill until set.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with 2 cups mini marshmallows then, optional, drizzle with chocolate syrup or chocolate fudge sauce.
Recipe adapted from Oh My Goodness Chocolate Desserts