Our absolute favorite part of fall and winter is the ability – finally! – to bundle up and get cozy. While we love spring and summer, we are so ready to break out our sweaters and switch over to cooking hearty meals, that we welcome October and November with open arms. Once we’ve got on our coziest, comfiest clothes, the next thing to do is make hot chocolate! Or, in this case, make hot chocolate cookies….
That’s right, instead of the classic beverage, we made a batch of rich, fudgey, dense cookies that each have a molten chocolate center and are topped with a perfectly pillowy marshmallow. Biting into one of these is the best thing that will happen to you all day, so check out the recipe and gather your ingredients. It’s a great activity to do with the little ones, and everyone will be thrilled with the results!
Hot Chocolate Cookies
1 hour to prepare 2-3 dozen
- 1 (12 oz.) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
- 12 marshmallows, halved
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- When ready, preheat oven to 325º F and line 1-2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place butter and chocolate chips in a large, microwaveable bowl and microwave in 20-second increments, stirring in between, until mixture is fully melted. Remove from microwave and let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract together for 1-2 minutes, or until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt, and set aside.
- Once melted chocolate has cooled, mix it into egg mixture, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go.
- Gradually mix dry ingredients into the wet until just incorporated. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours, or until chilled.
- Remove cookie dough from refrigerator and use a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon to scoop 2 tablespoons of dough and place on lined baking sheets. Make sure not to overcrowd baking sheets.
- Using the back of a spoon, flatten your cookies slightly, then place baking sheets in oven and bake for 9-11 minutes, or until sides and tops of cookies have just set, but are still soft in the center.
- Remove cookies from oven and press 1 piece of dark chocolate into the center of each cookie. Top with 1 piece of marshmallow (1/2 marshmallow), pressing gently so they stick to the cookie.
- Return baking sheets to oven and bake for another 4-5 minutes, or until marshmallows are just slightly browned and cookies are cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Recipe adapted from Averie Cooks