Whatever your work or life schedule, we all have those nights when what we really need is a super quick dinner solution that also happens to be reliably delicious. Well, that’s exactly what we’ve got here with our Honey Sesame Chicken. It’s incredibly quick to come together – if you make some white rice and steam some broccoli at the same time, you can have a full meal done in just twenty minutes. And thanks to the tasty sesame-accented sweet and savory sauce, it’s a dinner you won’t hesitate to rely on again and again. It’s quicker than takeout, and it’s tastier too.
Since this is a quick stir-fry, the flavor here is all thanks to the sauce, which is a quick mixture of soy sauce, honey, sriracha, ginger, garlic, sesame seeds, sesame oil. It’s slightly sweet, but balanced with the salty soy sauce and the zip of ginger and garlic.
As for the chicken, the key is to cut it into small enough pieces that it cooks quickly. A quick dusting of cornstarch helps it get nice and crispy in the pan…
… and once it’s golden brown, you add the sauce and let it simmer just a few minutes so the sauce can thicken and the chicken can finish cooking through. A little dusting of sesame seeds and you’re ready to serve!
How easy is that? It just goes to show that food doesn’t have to be complicated to be good. And, believe me, this quick dish is seriously good. It’s something my family is always happy to sit down to, and since it gets me in and out of the kitchen quickly, I’m happy too.
20-Minute Honey Sesame Chicken
5m prep time
15m cook time
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Scallions, chopped, for serving
- White rice, for serving
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, sriracha, ginger, garlic, sesame seeds, and 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, season the chicken with salt and pepper and toss with cornstarch.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat at least 2 minutes. Add oil and chicken to pan and stir fry until golden brown, 5-6 minutes.
- Add sauce and let simmer until thickened and sticky, 3-4 minutes.
- Serve over white rice and sprinkle with scallions and more sesame seeds, if desired. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Gimme Delicious.