Looking for a wonderfully tender and delicious biscuit? Don’t worry, we’ve got you more than covered. These Honey Cream Cheese Biscuits are flaky and soft, just like you always want a biscuit to be, but the flavor is really second to none. (That’s thanks to the cream cheese, which is always a win, and to the honey butter that gets brushed all over them and baked right on.)
Now, you’re probably accustomed to cutting butter into your biscuit dough, but in this case, you also cut in cream cheese which gives these biscuits a unique tender texture and flavor.
There’s also buttermilk and the usual biscuit suspects, and like with other biscuits, you only want to work the dough just as much as you need to to get it to hold together.
From there you roll the dough out and cut it into circles, and bake until the biscuits are almost done. But not quite, because there’s one more very important step.
And that is to brush each and every biscuit with a melted honey butter mixture before popping them back in the oven again until they get beautifully golden brown.
You, of course, would not be remiss if you slathered a little more honey and butter in the center before eating them.
But they have plenty of flavor all on their own. A regular ol’ flaky buttermilk biscuit is a great thing, don’t get me wrong, but these have everything those have and so much more. Like a creamy soft texture and honey butter flavor that’s baked right in.
Honey Cream Cheese Biscuits
Soft, flaky, and so flavorful.
Yield 12; 10 minutes to prepare, 15 minutes cook time
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 oz cream cheese, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the honey butter:
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter and cream cheese until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk until just combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead just until dough comes together. (Don't overwork the dough.)
- Roll dough out into an 8-inch circle and cut out using a 2-inch biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits on prepared baking sheet, then re-roll any leftover dough and cut out more biscuits, if desired.
- Bake until lightly golden brown, 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 cup butter and stir honey in until well combined. Brush baked biscuits with honey butter, then return to oven for 5 more minutes.
- Let cool on wire rack 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Baked By An Introvert.