When it comes to homemade seafood, our thought is that, if you’re going to go to the effort of whipping up something delicious from scratch, you should also take a couple extra minutes to throw together a delicious tartar sauce. While you could just as easily buy some store-bought sauce, think twice before adding that to your shopping list, since making it yourself really is suuuper quick and easy, plus, you probably have all the ingredients on-hand already! Mayonnaise, lemon juice and mustard make up the base of our sauce, but we also like to throw in some red onion and sweet pickle relish to give it a little more texture and punched-up flavor – the result is a sauce that complements and brings out all the flavors in whatever seafood you’ve prepared. (Our favorites being fish and chips and homemade crab cakes.)
One of our favorite things about this recipe is that it immediately brings back summertime memories of being at the beach with our family and taking advantage of all that amazingly fresh seafood. Trust us, this sauce comes together in under five minutes and will take your main dish to the next level – you’ll see!
Homemade Tartar Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Mix together mayonnaise and lemon juice in a medium bowl until combined.
- Fold in red onion, relish and mustard until combined, then season generously with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate at least 20 minutes before serving so flavors have time to develop.
- Serve with crab cakes or fish and chips. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Once Upon A Chef