This dessert is a Hawaiian classic that you can find at just about any restaurant on the islands. While it might look like a simple dessert before it’s sliced, this is a layered pie that’s full of flavors – and it looks amazing! At first glance, you might think it’s a chocolate-vanilla combo, but there’s way more to this dessert than that.
First you start with a coconut custard that comes together in a couple minutes on the stove, then you melt some chocolate chips and stir half of your coconut pudding mixture into the melted chocolate. Your coconut chocolate layer goes into the pie crust and is then topped with the remaining coconut pudding – top that bad boy off with whipped cream or frozen whipped topping and you’ve got yourself a traditional Hawaiian dessert that steals the show every time!
Since the making of the chocolate layer is pretty straightforward – melt your chocolate and then stir in half of coconut mixture – we’ll go over the making of the coconut pudding. Whisk your cornstarch and water together to make a slurry, then combine you coconut milk, milk and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and stir in slurry; this thickens your custard and helps it set, along with helping it thicken and set the chocolate layer as well. When you cut into it, you get crisp, clean layers and the combo is subtly sweet and so yummy.
Once you’ve got your coconut custard, you mix half of it in with melted chocolate chips, then pour that mixture into your pie dough. Let that set 5-10 minutes, then gently pour remaining coconut pudding over the chocolate layer and let it set. Now you’ve got a layered pie that’s picture perfect and perfectly delicious!
30 minutes to prepare serves 8-10
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie shell
- 1 (14 oz.) can coconut milk
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- frozen whipped topping
- Bake pie crust according to packaging instructions
- Whisk together cornstarch and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, sugar and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer, then stir in cornstarch slurry. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and pour half of mixture into a large bowl.
- Place chocolate chips in a separate, heat-proof bowl, and microwave in 20-second increments, stirring in between, until melted and smooth.
- Once melted, fold melted chocolate into bowl with half coconut pudding mixture, stirring until fully blended.
- Pour chocolate into prepped pie crust, then place pie in refrigerator for 5 minutes to let set.
- Remove from fridge and gently pour coconut pudding layer on top of chocolate, smoothing into an even layer on top.
- Top with frozen whipped topping, if desired, then place in fridge to set.
- Slice, serve and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Freckles In April