There are few things that I love more than a ham and cheese croissant. Surely my family, my friends… but the rest I am drawing a blank on. I mean, that combination of flaky buttery pastry, melty cheese, and salty ham – come on! If it’s not perfection it’s very close to it. I don’t know why after all this time of loving them, I never thought to throw them together in a breakfast bake but luckily I came across this recipe and can make up for lost time.
Cheese, ham, and flaky pastry are natural flavor companions and in this bake, they come together in a way that’s incredibly easy to serve to your loved ones. If you haven’t dipped your toe into the waters of breakfast casseroles much, let me tell you – they make life pretty easy (or at least your mornings). Most of them can be made ahead (this one included), so you get all your ingredients in a casserole dish, tuck it into the fridge, and once your alarm goes off in the morning all you need to do is pre-heat your oven and pop the dish in.
Because you’re also pairing this trio with a custardy thyme-infused base, it helps to use day-old croissants or even to dry them out a bit in the oven before you assemble the casserole. You don’t want to lose all their delicious texture to the egg mixture!
The roots of this dish are a french toast bake – bread-like item, check; egg and milk base, check; fun flavor add-ins, definitely check – but it takes its taste cues from a pastry classic. It’s a scrumptious way to go about serving some ham, eggs, and cheese for breakfast or brunch, that’s for sure!
Ham and Cheese Croissant Bake
10m prep time
40m cook time
- 6 day-old croissants, cut in half
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 thin slices ham
- 1/2 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 2 qt baking dish with butter or nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, milk, thyme, eggs, salt, and pepper. Dip croissants in egg mixture, then arrange in baking dish.
- Pour remaining egg mixture over croissants, then tuck ham in between croissant pieces and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover dish with foil, then bake 30 minutes. Uncover, and bake until croissants are golden brown on top, 5-10 more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Country Cook.