Who’s a fan of the orange chicken from Panda Express? I know I am! The sticky sweet and citrusy flavor is just totally delicious. Well, guess what? This Asian-Style Ground Orange Chicken has the exact same delicious flavor, it just uses ground chicken as a protein instead, which means it comes together incredibly quickly for an easy weeknight meal that’s sure to please everyone in the family.
You’re looking at a very easy fifteen minutes of cooking time here, if that. You’ll start by browning some ground chicken in a bit of oil. (I’ve used ground turkey for this a time or two and it still tastes just as delicious! So feel free to switch it up if you need to.)
Once the chicken is no longer pink, all you need to do is simmer it briefly in a quick sauce to get that signature orange flavor.
It’s just a matter of whisking a few things together – orange juice, orange zest, ginger, garlic, a bit of chile flake, some sugar, soy sauce, and white vinegar – and letting it simmer until the sauce is nice and sticky.
My family loves this served over some white rice with a side of steamed broccoli. It has definitely become a go-to at our house because while we all love the flavor, I especially love that you can get a restaurant-worthy meal on the table in just about twenty minutes.
Asian-Style Ground Orange Chicken
Same delicious orange sauce as Panda Express!
Serves 4; 5 minutes to prepare, 15 minutes cook time
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ground ginger
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flake
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat and add the chicken. Brown until a crust starts to form, then break apart the chicken and continue cooking until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, and chili flake and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- While chicken cooks, whisk together orange juice, orange zest, sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar, and white vinegar. Add to skillet and bring to a boil.
- Stir cornstarch into 1 tablespoon water and add to skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture has thickened and liquid has reduced. Serve over white rice and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Dinner Then Dessert.