Mashed potatoes are perhaps my favorite side dish on the planet. The creamy texture, buttery flavor, and that starchy mouthfeel make them irresistible. Add some more flavor to that with garlic and green onions and top with cheese and you’ve got a sensational dish that will make everyone at the table say, “oooh”.
These golden mashed potatoes get their vibrant color from Yukon gold potatoes and the addition of chopped carrots. The carrots add not only color, but also a hint of sweetness that marries all these flavors together.
To make this recipe boil the peeled and cubed potatoes with the carrots. Drain and mash well. Then combine the butter and chopped green onions in a pan over medium heat. Cook until tender and then add the potato mixture. Remove from heat and add in sour cream and spices. This adds a rich and creamy taste to these potatoes.
The next step is where the magic really happens. Transfer the potatoes to a baking dish and top with shredded cheddar cheese and then bake this sunny dish for 30-40 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted and beginning to brown at the edges.
When these mashed potatoes come out of the oven they’re a bright spot on the dinner table. Unlike other mashed potato recipes that need a bit of gravy on top to make them moist and flavorful these taters need nothing else. They are perfect all on their own.
Serve alongside chicken or beef with a bit of salad on the side and you’ve got an attractive dinner fit for a special occasion or even a weeknight meal.
Golden Mashed Potatoes
Makes 10-12 servings
20m prep time
55m cook time
- 10 Yukon gold potatoes (about 4 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter (4 Tbsp)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Boil potatoes and carrot together in pan filled with water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt until fork tender. Drain and mash well.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. In a large skillet over medium heat sauté onions in butter until tender. Pour in potatoes and stir well. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream, garlic powder, pepper, and remaining salt.
- Turn out mixture into a 9”x13” casserole dish. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 30-40 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.