If you’re looking for a new treat to add to the holiday dessert list, then allow me to introduce you to Georgia Browns. I discovered these candies at a Canadian chocolate shop and was instantly smitten. Made with roasted pecans, homemade caramel, and topped with a sinful layer of chocolate, they’re absolutely irresistible. Making them at home is easier than you’d think. Let’s get into it…
You’ll start out by roasting the pecans. Toss two cups of pecan halves in a generous coating of butter, sprinkle them with salt, and then pop them in the oven for about 13-15 minutes. They’ll have a lovely crunch to them and the most delicious buttery flavor.
Next, we dive into the heart of these Georgia Browns – the caramel. In a small saucepan, combine water, brown sugar, sweetened condensed milk, corn syrup, and butter. Bring the mixture to a boil and keep it simmering until it reaches a toasty 245 degrees. You’ll then remove it from the heat and stir in the vanilla and a pinch of salt. The results are sinfully smooth and really take this homemade treat to the next level.
For the assembly, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange your cooled, roasted pecans in small groupings, a couple of inches apart. Spoon a dollop of your caramel on top of each pecan pile and let it cool. Once your caramel has set, drizzle a generous helping of chocolate on top of each candy. Now, the final step, allowing them to cool (the hardest part). Give this tasty candy recipe a try and you’re bound to fall in love with them!
20m prep time
1 cook time
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ¾ cups semi sweet chocolate, melted
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- ⅔ cup corn syrup
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- To roast pecans: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a medium sized bowl, toss pecans in 3 tablespoons butter then season with salt. Transfer nuts to the prepared cookie sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- To make caramel: Add brown sugar, condensed milk, corn syrup, butter, and water to a small saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring often.
- Maintain a boil until the mixture reaches 245 degrees F, then immediately remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt.
- To assemble Browns: line baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the cooled pecans in groupings of 3-4, spaced a couple inches apart. Spoon a dollop of caramel on top of each pile. Allow caramel to cool.
- Once caramel has cooled, spoon the melted chocolate on top of each brown and allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place.
Recipe adapted from Kitchentrials.com