Looking for a main course to prepare for family and friends? Look no further.
One of the more stressful parts of hosting a dinner party is deciding what to make for the main course. You want something that is amazing but also a recipe that won’t chain you to the oven for the better part of your day or evening. When I need something that presents beautifully, tastes amazing, and gives you the freedom to enjoy your evening, then I look no further than a recipe like this one for garlic-rosemary-cranberry chicken.
This is a meal that looks stunningly festive on a Christmas table but isn’t reserved for one particular time of year. The beautiful jewel-red of the roasted cranberries alongside the herb-woodsy taste of rosemary is not only fragrant but so, so flavorful. Well-seasoned chicken pieces, seared to add flavor and lock in moisture, are elevated with roasted onions and lemons and make this meal that is truly spectacular.
You’ll need to roll up your sleeves and get clean hands ready because the preparation of this dish is hands-on. Clean hands are one of the cook’s best kitchen tools, especially here, as you rub the butter, rosemary, and garlic into the meat then let it rest and marinate; this step really does make a difference.
There’s a nice balance of sweetness, herbs, and acidity in this dish, which helps to keep the chicken deliciously moist and tender. And let’s not forget tart! Those roasted cranberries will burst with flavor, adding a nice fruity element to the overall flavor experience. Roasted chicken with garlic, rosemary, and cranberries is an unforgettable meal!
Garlic Rosemary Cranberry Chicken
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, divided
- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts and/or thighs
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 425°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter or nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cranberries, brown sugar, and half of the apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Pat the chicken dry, season liberally with salt and pepper and rub the garlic and rosemary into both sides of each piece, working them underneath the skin as well.
- In a large bowl, stir together the olive oil, the juice from the lemon, and the remaining apple cider vinegar. Add the chickens and onions and juiced lemon halves and toss to coat. Set aside to marinate for about 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches if necessary, brown the chicken skin-side down, about 5 minutes. Flip and brown the other side.
- Arrange the chicken, onions, lemon halves, and any remaining marinade in the prepared baking pan. Add chicken broth, followed by the cranberries.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through, 35-40 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Mediterranean Dish.