I always find that when life is feeling hectic or rushed, it’s best to keep dinner super simple. Seriously, who needs to worry about perfectly executing a new recipe or technique on those nights when you’re just trying to get dinner – any dinner – on the table? Since I generally want to keep it healthy too, a sheet pan of easy roasted veggies is a no-brainer for those times and these Garlic Parmesan Roasted Vegetables are the perfect place to turn. They pair well with everything from baked chicken to grilled steak and they’re forgiving enough that you can use pretty much whatever veggies you happen to have on hand. But best of all? That garlic-parm combo is positively scrumptious.
A broccoli, cauliflower, baby carrot, and red onion medley is a great mix to go with here, but I really mean it when I say that you can switch it up according to what you have on hand. This isn’t a method where the roasting time is super fine-tuned to each veggie – it’s more that it’s baked at the right temp for long enough to get those carrots fork-tender, get some caramelization on the onions, and some nice crispy edges on those brassicas. It’s a middle-of-the-road approach that works well for most veggies, save for maybe thin asparagus which cooks through lickety-split.
With this quantity of veggies, it’s best to use two baking sheets, or else you’re crowding everything in so much that you’re really steaming it instead of roasting it. And then you’d miss out on all that roasted flavor! But what sets these apart from any basic roasted veggie is the addition of a couple of herbs and seasonings that tie the veggie medley together but mainly make them incredibly tasty.
There is of course garlic to thank for a lot of that wonderful flavor. (Doesn’t that always seem to be the case?) But there’s also some parmesan, thyme, rosemary, and garlic salt in the mix too. That handful of ingredients and some olive is all it takes to bring roasted veggies from basic to superstar status.
Easy Garlic Parmesan Roasted Vegetables
5m prep time
40m cook time
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, plus 2 tablespoons
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Black pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F and spray two rimmed baking sheets with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, toss together cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, and onions.
- Add olive oil, 1/3 cup of the Parmesan cheese, garlic, garlic salt, thyme, rosemary, and black pepper. Toss to combine.
- Spread vegetables into a single layer on baking sheets.
- Roast 20 minutes, then stir. Roast until golden and caramelized, about 20 more minutes.
- Top with remaining parmesan cheese and parsley. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Melissa's Southern Style Kitchen.