Ever heard of Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic? As you might have guessed, it’s chicken that’s cooked on a bed of forty cloves of garlic. (That’s three or four heads!) It’s – as you also might have guessed – incredibly delicious but it often involves cutting apart a whole chicken and can take almost two hours to make. Our Garlic Lover’s Baked Chicken is the simplified version. You still get forty cloves worth of sweet roasted garlic flavor but thanks to boneless, skinless chicken breasts the preparation is more of a busy weeknight endeavor. Same great garlic chicken flavor, less time and work for you!
Even though you’ll be using boneless, skinless chicken here, it does help to pan sear the meat first as it locks in some flavor and gives you a nice golden crust you wouldn’t get otherwise. But never fear – the oven really does the rest of the work. Once you’ve browned the chicken, you arrange it in a baking dish and surround it with a mixture of white wine, butter, and lemon juice. Oh, and the forty cloves of garlic, of course.
The chicken stays plenty moist thanks to the rich buttery wine sauce and the garlic has just enough time for the flavor to soften and sweeten. It’s not quite the flavor of true roasted garlic, but it’s mild and approachable enough that you can still pop a whole clove in your mouth. (And trust me, you’ll be doing just that.)
Garlic Lover's Baked Chicken
10m prep time
1h cook time
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Juice of one lemon
- 40 cloves garlic, peeled (3-4 heads garlic)
- 1 bunch fresh thyme sprigs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, brown chicken on both sides, working in batches, 2-3 minutes per side.
- Once chicken is browned, place in a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the wine, melted butter, and lemon juice. Stir in garlic cloves until evenly coated.
- Pour mixture over chicken and spread garlic around so there aren't any cloves on top of the chicken. Arrange thyme sprigs around the chicken and cover dish with foil.
- Bake until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F, about 60 minutes. Serve over rice or pasta and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Sugar and Soul.