I’m not a fan of traditional caviar, but I could eat this fruit caviar by the spoonful – and have! What is fruit caviar, exactly? It’s basically little pearls of fruit jelly that you can add as a topping to fruit, yogurt, ice cream, or even drinks. This is such a fun novelty that is so easy to make and totally customizable.
The best part is, you only need three ingredients: fruit juice, vegetable oil, and agar powder. Now, don’t let that last one scare you off. Agar powder is a plant-based gelatin and can be found in most grocery stores for fairly cheap. It doesn’t have a flavor, so the end result will taste like whatever tart fruit juice you use. Go ahead and check out the video below for the full tutorial!
You’ll start by filling a clear glass with 2 cups of vegetable oil and placing it in the freezer for 2 hours. Don’t worry – the oil won’t freeze! It needs to be very cold for this process to work. This is the key to the whole process, so make sure not to cut corners by skipping this step!
Once the oil has been in the freezer for at least 2 hours, you can move on to the next steps. Pour your juice of choice into a small pot, followed by the agar powder. Whisk together and heat until boiling. Boil for about two minutes, then remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool.
Next, pour the juice mixture into a squeeze bottle. Alternatively, you can use an eyedropper or anything that will get the mixture to form little drops. Gently squeeze droplets of juice mixture into the oil. Here’s where the magic happens! It’s so fun to watch these little colored blobs form and fall in the chilled oil. It’s pretty meditative, so make sure not to get too carried away!
After you’ve made all the jelly spheres you want, pour the entire thing – oil, spheres, and all into a bowl with a sifter. Rinse spheres in another bowl filled with cold water. Don’t be afraid to wash off the jelly shperes, they’re more durable than you might think. If there is any excess liquid, you can pat them down with a napkin. Immediately serve once ready.
If you’re looking for a tasty little treat to add to drinks, desserts, yogurt, and all sorts of things, give this fruit caviar a try! Don’t say I didn’t warn you – this stuff is super fun to make and the end result is addicting!
5m prep time
- 2 cups Vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup fruit juice of choice
- 1/2 tsp of agar powder
- 2 tbsp of sugar (optional: if juice is too bitter)
- Fill a clear glass with 2 cups vegetable oil and place in freezer for 2 hours.
- In a small pot, whisk together juice and agar powder (and sugar, if using) and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes, then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Pour juice mixture into a squeeze bottle and gently squeeze droplets of juice mixture into the oil until you’ve made as many as you want.
- Next, drain the oil and spheres through a sifter. Rinse spheres in another bowl filled with cold water and pat dry. Serve on top of yogurt, fruit, ice cream, or in drinks!
Recipe adapted from Flo and Grace.