It should come as no surprise that we love all desserts, and not just all things chocolate. Sweet and fried are also right up there on the list.
It should come as no surprise that we love all desserts, and not just all things chocolate. Sweet and fried are also right up there on the list. That’s why this fried ricotta and cottage cheese patty is on our dessert list. The versatility of a dessert, from sweet to tart, fried or baked, is one of the reasons why we rarely pass on an opportunity to enjoy a sweet treat. Cheese, sweetened with honey, sugar, and cinnamon, then wrapped in puff pastry and fried – it’s not your conventional sweet treat but it sure is something special.
Our fried ricotta and cottage cheese patties are golden and crisp on the outside, and cheesy and sweet on the middle, a delightfully delicious pairing that we think is actually pretty fabulous. We take cottage cheese and ricotta and mix them with a few sweeteners. The cheese filling is nice and creamy and strikes the right balance of depth and richness. It’s sweet but not too sweet, and since we’re frying this that makes a big difference. Even the puff pastry gets a touch of sweet and savory with a mix of cinnamon and sugar sprinkled over the dough before the cheese is spread and rolled into a log. Next, grab a serrated knife to slice the dough into rounds that are then dipped into the hot oil and fried until golden and crisp.
The patties need to cool a little before you can eat them, but they’re best served warm. And don’t be shy about a garnish: some fresh fruit, a drizzle of honey, maybe even a dusting of powdered sugar would only add to the goodness. Fried ricotta and cottage cheese patties are an unexpected way to serve up a unique dessert experience, one that is just the right amount of sweet and all the right amount of delicious!
Fried Sweet Ricotta and Cottage Cheese Patties
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 2 cups oil, canola or vegetable
- Mix both cheeses cheese with 2 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir until creamy and well blended.
- Roll out puff pastry dough to 1/4 -inch thickness.
- Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon over surface of puff pastry.
- Spread cottage cheese mixture evenly over puff pastry, leaving about a 1/2-inch around the edge of the dough.
- Heat oil in a skillet to 375°F. Place 3-4 pinwheels into the cooking oil, making sure not to crowd the pan, and fry until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove with a spatula or wire mesh strainer and set to drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve warm.