You know the savory, salty, crunchy, cheesy goodness that is an everything bagel? Gone are the days of us ordering (or making) a plain bagel with cream cheese, now it’s all about the everything bagel, or, more specifically, everything bagel seasoning. Yep, such is our obsession with the famed bagel that we had to come up with the perfect imitation seasoning blend so that we could use it in all the recipes. Alllll of them…including this savory monkey bread!
Oh yes, you read correctly: everything bagel monkey bread. Beautiful, baked-to-perfection bites of goodness, all of which are coated in everything bagel seasoning. If you’re wondering what exactly makes an everything bagel so good, let us break it down for you: sesame seeds, poppy seeds, garlic flakes, onion flakes and plenty of cheese – as far as we’re concerned there should always be plenty of cheese. This makes for a recipe that’s packed full of flavor and texture, and it’s perfect for entertaining. Seriously, if you can toss some biscuits in a plastic bag and then shake it like your life depends on it to make sure each pieces of dough gets evenly coated with seasoning, you can be a monkey bread champ in no time.
Now let’s talk for a minute about how to serve this. The first time we made this we realized it shines bright like a diamond on it own, so if you’re thinking about making it – go for it! Buuut, the second time we made it, we thought we might pump things up a little bit and really go for gold. Which we did. By adding a cream cheese drizzle over the top. Talk about indulgence. This savory monkey bread definitely doesn’t need anything else…but if you’re feeling fancy, go for the cream cheese. No one ever regretted adding more cream cheese to their dish, just sayin’. Anywho, as if you needed more reasons to make this, let us just end by saying this is an all-around winner. We’ve been eating it non-stop since we made it, so prepare yourself for that, it’ll happen to you too!
Savory Monkey Bread
- 2 (16 oz.) cans refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried garlic flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350º F and generously grease a standard bundt pan with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cheddar and parmesan cheeses, parsley, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, onion flakes, garlic flakes, salt and pepper.
- Stir in melted butter until everything is fully incorporated.
- Place biscuit dough in a large bowl and transfer to a large, resealable plastic bag.
- Pour butter and seasoning mixture into plastic bag, then press out excess air and seal bag carefully.
- Shake bag for 30-50 seconds, or until all biscuit pieces are covered in seasoning, then transfer mixture to greased bundt pan.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet to prevent spillage. Place in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the edges.
- Invert monkey bread onto serving platter and serve hot!
- Optional: microwave in 20-second increments until pourable and drizzle over monkey bread to serve.