Savory, crunchy, soft, buttery, and utterly delicious.
There’s nothing quite as good as homemade biscuits. Done right they’re flaky, buttery, and full of flavor. These everything bagel seasoning biscuits have a great crunch and taste from the seasoning blend. But, even if you’re not a fan of this type of spice mix let me assure you these biscuits are some of the most tender you can make- with or without the spices!
Lately I’ve been loving the food processor method of making scones and biscuits. As long as you simply pulse instead of revving the machine, you end up with a great texture for the dough, without making a mess.
Then turn out the spiced dough onto your work surface and use a 3-inch cookie cutter to cut out rounds. I don’t have one that big so I used a pint glass from Ikea and it worked perfectly. Depending on how these roll out you may up with 6 to 8 biscuits. I had one scrawny biscuit that I just patted together, so just know that your total number can vary based on how the flour absorbs the liquid in the recipe.
Before these go into the oven they get a brush with some buttermilk. Then part way through baking they get another bath and then a topping of more of this yummy spice blend- a mix of poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dried onion, and garlic that has been so popular on bagels as of late.
Top these delectable biscuits with butter or use them to mop up your favorite soups and sauces. They go with just about any savory dish!
"Everything Bagel" Buttermilk Biscuits
Makes 6-8 biscuits
15m prep time
25m cook time
For the biscuits:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for flouring
- 3 tablespoons everything bagel seasoning
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk, cold
For the topping:
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk, divided
- 1 tablespoon everything bagel seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Combine bagel seasoning, flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, garlic powder, and salt in a large bowl. Use 2 forks or a pastry knife to cut in butter until crumbly mixture forms. Fold in buttermilk until shaggy, but do not overmix. Or use a food processor to pulse until crumbly.
- Flour hands and work surface. Turn out dough onto floured area and then roll out into a long rectangle that’s 3/4” thick. Fold dough over, turn once, then roll out again. Repeat this process again. Final dough roll out thickness should be 3/4” as well. Re-roll scraps to get 8 biscuits.
- Cut into rounds using a 3” cookie cutter. Place on lined baking sheet and brush with 1 tablespoon buttermilk. Bake for 15 minutes. Brush with remaining buttermilk and then sprinkle with 1 tablespoon bagel seasoning. Return to oven to bake for 10 more minutes or until golden brown on top.
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction.