Love traditional French toast but feel a little guilty about making it too often? This low-calorie recipe is a great way to lighten up on the calories without giving up the yummy taste. Using whole-wheat bread, egg whites and low-fat milk makes a big, but subtle difference here, health-wiseand because the spices stay the same, you don’t even notice the difference! This French toast is still the crowd-pleaser it always has been and now you know you can make it as often as you want!
Whole-Wheat French Toast
- 8 pieces whole-wheat bread
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon low-fat butter substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- mixed berries of your choice
- In a large bowl or deep dish, whisk eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together.
- Heat butter in a medium frying pan on medium heat and evenly coat the bottom of the pan.
- Take one of your bread slices and dip both sides into the egg mixture, allowing enough time for the bread to absorb the liquid. Continue with other slices.
- Place your slices in the (now hot) frying pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crisp on the outside.
- Remove to plate and serve with berries. (Optional maple syrup replacement: all-natural honey.)