It’s the perfect tasty trio for a quick bread.
When you’ve got a pile of bananas on the counter that have gone more than a little past their prime, there’s one recipe we all turn to so they don’t go to waste: banana bread. It’s the perfect solution to a recurring problem (those bananas take a turn quick, right?). You get a delicious quick bread (we like to eat ours for breakfast slathered with a little butter) and you’ve kept some rapidly declining produce from the garbage bin.
While there is certainly nothing wrong with a basic ol’ banana bread, we are head over heels for this gussied up version. It’s studded with dark chocolate chunks and rich with creamy peanut butter flavor. And since peanut butter and bananas are a match made in heaven, it’s no wonder this easy bread works so well.
You need about three bananas for this recipe, though you might be able to squeeze in four if they’re relatively small. And remember, the riper those bananas are, the sweeter your bread will be. We’ve tried to keep the sugar content low because with all those mashed ripe bananas, this bread just doesn’t need a whole lot of additional help in the sweetness department.
We’re partial to dark chocolate and the rich flavor it lends to this bread, but milk chocolate will work beautifully if that’s more your style. Peanut butter, banana, and chocolate. It’s a tantalizing trio. And you’ve got to give it a try.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread
1 hour 30 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 a stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the mashed banana, butter, peanut butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until well combined. Pour this mixture into the flour mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 60-75 minutes. Allow bread to cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
Adapted from Cinnamon Spice And Everything Nice.