You won’t believe how healthy this sweet and savory spread is when you taste it!
We love combining the flavors of sweet and savory when creating meals. A great way to get that sweetness into dips is to use sweet potatoes. This recipe takes them and adds the savory taste of garlic, onions, and spices to create a spread that is bursting with flavor. In just a few easy steps, we have a healthy dish that still satisfies our sweet tooth.
Sweet Potato Spread
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 baguette
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add sweet potatoes and boil until tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Put garlic and onion in a pan over medium heat, and cook until they turn brown and stick to the skillet, about 5 minutes. Add the vegetable broth, and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, scallions, milk, cinnamon, turmeric, cumin, and onion mixture to a food processor, and puree until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut baguette in to 1/2 inch slices, and place on a baking sheet. Brush each slice with olive oil; add salt and pepper to taste. Toast the slices until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Place on rack to cool.
- Arrange the toast on a serving plate, and top with the sweet potato spread. Sprinkle with salt and pepper before serving.
Recipe adapted from Whole Foods Market