We love everything about fall in this house. From the leaves changing color to the fresh apples at the farmer’s market, we’re crazy about this cooler season. We also love when a recipe puts a new spin on an old favorite. That’s why we’re crazy about this spicy vegetable soup. It’s like a great potato chowder, but it adds the sweetness of butternut squash and creamy coconut milk with just a hint of Thai flavor. The best part about this warming soup is that it cooks up in the slow cooker, and there’s nothing we like more than set-it-and-forget-it meals!
Sometimes we leave the curry paste out of this recipe if we’re cooking for picky kid tastes. Once the slow cooker has worked its magic, we put in a little extra effort to whip this into a smooth and creamy soup, with enough chunkiness to give it great texture, turning this into a delicious, almost chowder-like soup that is rich and hearty. So the next time you need a comforting fall stew that the family will love, look no further than our spicy vegetable soup.
Spicy Vegetable Soup
3 hours to prepare serves 4-6
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Add squash, potatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and vegetable broth to slow cooker. Cook on high 3 hours or until squash and potatoes are soft.
- Stir in coconut milk, curry paste, salt and pepper.
- Take out 1/2 soup and mash remaining soup in slow cooker. Blend other half, then stir together. Do more or less blending for desired texture.
Recipe adapted from Life Made Sweeter