It’s the perfect way to serve up some extra love at the dinner table!
Sure, we can pick up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store on the way home from work, but this homemade version is so fresh and delicious. When we want to treat our family to a classic slow-roasted chicken and vegetable dinner, this is the recipe we turn to most often.
A little effort is needed in the beginning to chop the carrots, onion, and celery. But the rest of this meal is pretty simple. And it’s important to season everything well for great flavor. The end result is a moist chicken and tender vegetables with great herbs for added depth. We like to add a little broccoli to the mix and the combination is fabulous! Best of all, we don’t have to spend all day in the kitchen. Everything cooks in one dish so there’s virtually no cleanup, and we usually have ready for the oven in less than 15 minutes. It’s the perfect way to serve up some extra love at the dinner table!
Slow Roasted Chicken And Vegetables
- (1) 3-4 pound whole chicken, rinsed and dried
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 medium head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, divided
- 1 large bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Warm 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat in large Dutch oven. Sauté onions 2 to 3 minutes until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Rub remaining 2 tablespoons oil over chicken. Season both sides with salt, pepper, 1/2 teaspoon oregano and 1/4 teaspoon basil. Place chicken breast side up in pan with garlic and onions. Top chicken with pats of butter.
- Place carrots, celery, broccoli and frozen peas around chicken. Add chicken broth and bay leaf. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon oregano and 1/4 teaspoon basil.
- Cover with oven-proof lid. Cook in preheated oven 80 to 90 minutes, until internal temperature of chicken reaches 180 degrees. Uncover and cook 5 to 10 minutes until chicken begins to brown.
- Remove from oven. Discard bay leaf. Let sit 10 minutes before carving and serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Cast Iron And Wine