We love our slow cooker because there are 10 million things we can cook in it. Fix-and-forget meals are the best because we have relatively short amounts of prep time followed by a lot of work done by the slow cooker on our kitchen counter. In the end, we just serve what’s in the pot and everyone loves it! For a whole chicken, the slow cooker works just as an oven would to bake it tender and juicy. While the slow cooker puts forth its effort for delicious baked chicken, we prepare our sides on the stovetop or countertop. Serve this yummy chicken with the vegetables from the slow cooker or any favorite side dish.
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
4.5 hours to prepare Serves 4 to 6 people
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 2 whole carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 whole chicken, insides removed, rinsed and dried
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, garnish
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Coat inside of slow cooker with a generous layer of cooking spray.
- Place onion, carrots and celery into slow cooker. Place lemon wedges in chicken cavity for added flavor.
- Rub chicken with olive oil and poultry seasoning. Place on top of vegetables.
- Cover and cook on high setting for 4-5 hours or on low for 6-7 hours. Insert thermometer into chicken; internal temperature should be 165°F to indicate chicken is done.
- Carefully remove chicken from slow cooker and rest on serving platter or cutting board for 5 minutes before carving. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Recipe adapted from Diethood