We combine frozen and fresh to make this super simple and delicious breakfast bake.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so naturally, we believe in starting out strong with a meal like this hearty egg, sausage, and potato casserole. We take a few shortcuts with this dish, using frozen hash browns and a seasoned sausage, like mild Italian sausage, then toss in a little freshness with diced red pepper and green onions as garnish.
A meal like this is just as tasty as a breakfast-for-dinner recipe too! We like to serve this with a slice of warm crusty bread as toast topped a dollop of our favorite jam or with a cool fresh fruit salad on the side. When we want food that is delicious and hearty, we go to a combination of simple ingredients mixed with a few shortcuts to put together a wonderful meal.
Sausage Potato Breakfast Bake
Serves 4-5 servings
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen diced potatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium green onions, minced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9x9-inch pan.
- Cook sausage in medium skillet over medium heat until browned. Remove from heat, and drain on paper towels.
- In the same pan, sauté onion and bell pepper over medium heat until tender. Add garlic. Cook 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese. Set aside.
- Pour potatoes into baking dish. Top with cooked sausage and sautéed vegetables. Pour egg mixture over top. Bake for 35-40 minutes, then top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and bake 5 minutes. Cool slightly before serving and garnish with sliced green onions.
Recipe adapted from Two Peas And Their Pod