We love entertaining guests in our house, and one of our favorite tried and true dinner recipes is Roman chicken. This hearty dish tastes like it took all day to make, but in reality, it cooks up in less than an hour and only uses one pan. Can’t get much easier than that! And who says you need an occasion for a meal like this? Make an ordinary weeknight feel special with a meal that will pep up those mid-week doldrums. Roman chicken is easy to prepare, and is full of a great combination of flavors that our family absolutely loves.
The chicken breast in this dish cooks in a rich sauce of tomatoes, peppers and onion. Because the chicken cooks inside the sauce, it absorbs all that flavor, which makes it juicy and delicious. We like to make our Roman chicken with Italian sausage for depth of flavor, and we serve it over a bed of quinoa instead of noodles; quinoa is an ancient grain that has grown in popularity. It offers that nice al dente bite that we’d normally experience with pasta. Try our recipe this weekend for a tasty dish the whole family will love.
45 minutes to prepare serves 4
- 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, sliced
- 3 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flake (optional)
- 1 (5 oz) package quinoa, prepared according to package instructions
- Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown sausage and crumble, remove from pan and drain on a paper towel. Add chicken breasts to pan and sauté both sides until golden brown. Remove from pan.
- Sauté pepper and pancetta until peppers are softened and pancetta is crisp, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, herbs and chicken stock (optional: pinch of red pepper flake). Stir, making sure to scrape browned bits from bottom of pan for added flavor.
- Place chicken breasts and sausage back in pan and add lemon juice. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Sprinkle with parsley and serve over cooked quinoa.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Is My Sport