This veggie casserole is a favorite comfort food in our home on chilly evenings. The rich filling is packed with creamy potatoes and earthy Brussels sprouts with just a little bacon for that smoky goodness. From time to time, we like to add dill pickle slices for texture and vinegary tang because it’s something that our family loves, but feel free to leave them out if that’s not what your family enjoys.
We know that when we pull this potato bake out of the oven the family comes running, and the kitchen is filled with its delicious aroma. The cheesy-potato topping makes a nice presentation, and everyone enjoys sampling its mouthwatering flavor. Be ready to offer guests the recipe because the requests are sure to follow.
Potato Veggie Bacon Bake
Serves 4 - 6
Active 30 minutes, inactive 55 minutes
- 5 pieces thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 12 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 cup dill pickle slices, halved (optional)
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Fry bacon in a large frying pan until crispy. Use a slotted spoon to remove bacon from pan, and set aside to drain on a paper towel.
- Add onion, mushrooms, and Brussels sprouts to frying pan, and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until onion is translucent and Brussels sprouts begin to soften. Remove from heat.
- Chop up reserved bacon. Stir bacon, pickles, and 1 cup of shredded mozzarella into vegetable mixture. Spread evenly into 2 quart casserole dish.
- Arrange diced potatoes over vegetable filling.
- Whisk together stock, cream, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Carefully pour liquid over potatoes. Sprinkle casserole evenly with the last 1/2 cup mozzarella.
- Bake in oven at 400°F for 50 - 55 minutes, until potatoes are soft. Serve warm and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Let the Baking Begin