Even the pickiest of eaters will dive into this delicious dish!
We’re always looking for ways to sneak more leafy greens into our meals. Going beyond a salad means looking for delicious and easy veggies that will make our family say “mmm-mmm” instead of “eww”. We figure topping the veggies with cheese will do just the trick and that’s why we love this side dish. When we serve this cheesy potato bake, everyone’s glad to eat all of their spinach! It’s not as rich and creamy as a typical gratin, but it still showcases the flavor of the cheese and potatoes.
Tender bits of spinach make this a beautiful casserole, and the onions and spinach really taste great next to the potatoes. Even our pickiest family members eat it with a smile! We really appreciate the simplicity of this recipe. It’s an easy and delicious way to get an extra serving of veggies with dinner, and it goes great with almost any main course.
Potato and Spinach Casserole
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced into 1/2 moons
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups cheese (sharp cheddar or mozzarella), shredded and divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 11x7-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place potato slices in large pot. Cover with water. Boil for 15 to 20 minutes until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter over medium heat in sauté pan. Cook onions 3 to 5 minutes until translucent. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Stir in spinach leaves until just wilted.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in milk and 1/2 cup of cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place potato slices into baking dish. Cover with spinach sauce. Top with 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven 20 to 25 minutes until cheese melts and begins to brown.
Recipe adapted from Good To Know