This is a holiday favorite, but we still enjoy it year round!
This rustic yet elegant egg bake is always a star at our holiday brunches. It looks beautiful on the table, and our loved ones think it’s delicious. Hearty potatoes and sausage mix with colorful vegetables and herbs to create amazing flavor. We love how the bright green spinach and red peppers add pops of color to the creamy yellow eggs and cheese that make this dish so satisfying.
The taste is phenomenal! Fresh ingredients go a long way here, so when time allows, we like to put in the extra effort, but frozen shortcuts are lifesavers when we’re in a pinch. Either way, this sausage and egg bake always warms the hearts of our out-of-town guests during the holidays!
Potato, Sausage, and Veggie Breakfast Bake
Serves 8; 80 minutes
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 8 large eggs
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 4-5 medium russet potatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 13-by-9-inch casserole with cooking spray.
- Brown sausage in large skillet over medium heat. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Transfer cooked sausage to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain.
- Add red peppers, onion, and garlic to skillet. Sauté until tender. Stir in potatoes and spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted and potatoes are just tender. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, cream, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 cup cheese, and chopped thyme. Pour evenly over sausage mixture. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake 35-40 minutes. Eggs will be just set.
- Remove aluminum foil and top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake uncovered for 5-10 minutes. Cool before serving.
Recipe adapted from Julia's Album