Our family loves nuts, especially when they are baked into ooey-gooey bars, but we don’t agree about which nuts taste the best. Baking up a batch of these half-cashew, half-pecan bars gives everyone a taste of their favorites, and we can substitute other chopped nuts too. Honey adds extra richness and a pinch of cinnamon adds warmth that pairs well with the nuts.
We cut these satisfyingly rich bars small for enjoying with mid-morning coffee or as after-school snacks, and they are also a big hit when entertaining, giving guests a choice of two different flavor options. No one can resist grabbing a bite of these gooey, salty, nutty bars! Be ready to share the recipe.
Pecan And Cashew Pie Bars
30 minutes to prepare 24 bars
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, divided
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup cashews
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 13- x 9-inch pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang.
- Whisk together flour, powdered sugar, salt, baking powder and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Stir in 1 cup of softened butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Press mixture evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake crust in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown in color. Remove from oven to cool slightly.
- Place pecans into a dry sauté pan and heat until fragrant. Chop and set aside. Repeat with cashews.
- Beat eggs lightly in a large bowl. Stir in brown sugar, honey and 1/2 cup melted butter until well blended. Spread mixture evenly over partially cooled crust.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans over half the filling and chopped cashews over the other half. Press nuts firmly into topping with back of a large spoon.
- Continue baking for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove pan from oven, and let bars cool completely in pan.
- Use the parchment paper overhang to remove the bars and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into individual pieces, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Amanda's Cookin'