Faced with a family who loves mushrooms, except for that one picky eater? Here’s a crowd-pleasing cheesy potato bake that lets us sneak in some mushrooms with all that gooey, comforting richness. Tall on flavor, this recipe yields a beautiful, golden brown crusty cheese top and an aroma that is simply irresistible. I knew that my husband and I would love it, but we were not prepared for the resounding success all around the dinner table when ours kids not only dug in, but clamored for seconds. Nobody mentioned mushrooms, not even the mushroom-hater. Your family wants something different tonight, and this is an easy way to make that wish come true.
Mushroom Potato Bake
Serves 6-8 1 hour 30 minutes
- 4 cups Yukon gold potatoes, chopped into small cubes
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 pound white button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F, and lightly grease a 9x13-inch casserole dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- Sauté mushrooms in butter and olive oil for 3-5 minutes until tender. Add white wine, and simmer for another 3 minutes until most of the liquid evaporates. Remove from heat.
- Combine heavy cream, garlic, salt and pepper in a medium saucepan, and simmer for2-3 minutes over medium heat until the mixture begins to thicken. Continue stirring so the bottom doesn't burn.
- Layer 1/3 of the cubed potatoes in the casserole dish, and top with some of the mushrooms and cheese. Repeat with two more layers, ending with mushrooms on top.
- Pour thickened sauce over the top, and gently tap the casserole dish on the counter to distribute the liquid between the layers. Cover with foil, and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil, and bake an additional 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Recipe adapted from 12 Tomatoes