Homemade cabbage rolls are a classic, rustic dish that are the ultimate in comfort food. The fragrant, savory filling cooked in a thick tomato sauce turns dinner into an indulgent affair. A traditional combination of beef and rice is both familiar and delicious, and is a guaranteed hit with the entire family. This is a slow-down type of meal, one that brings people around the table for good food and good times. We love a meal that comes from the heart, having been made time and time again for everything from celebrations to simple weeknight dinners. Occasionally we will lighten this up with ground turkey, but when we want to keep the richness, we stick with ground beef. When we need something hearty but simple, filling but not too fussy, this is our go-to meal.
Homemade Cabbage Rolls
90 minutes to prepare serves 6
- 1 cabbage, stem trimmed
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 2 pounds ground beef, uncooked
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (24 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Fill a pot with water and bring to boil.
- Immerse whole cabbage head in water; boil for 2 minutes or microwave cabbage for 6 minutes. Drain and cool before peeling off leaves.
- Mix together rice, beef, garlic, onion, parsley, canned tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Whisk together tomato sauce and tomato paste in separate bowl. Spread a thin layer of tomato mixture in the bottom of casserole dish.
- Roll 1/3 cup of meat mixture into cabbage leaves and secure with toothpicks.
- Place cabbage rolls in baking dish and spoon remaining tomato mixture over top of rolls.
- Bake covered with foil for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- To serve, remove the toothpick from the roll. Top each cabbage roll with any additional sauce from baking dish. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Spend With Pennies