We love when pantry staples come together to make something wonderful!
We really enjoy when simple ingredients come together to make something extraordinary, and that is exactly the case with our rice pie. Rice pie is just one of those dishes; it doesn’t require any fancy ingredients, but it looks elegant, tastes amazing, and is super easy to make. A handful of supplies from the fridge and pantry are all we need to make this cheesy and savory rice pie.
A good cottage cheese pie is one of our favorite brunch dishes. When we were assigned the task of handling the menu for a friend’s bridal brunch, we wanted something a little heartier and a bit more elegant than our traditional version. This rice pie was perfect! Onions and spices balance the creamy cottage cheese flavor, and hearty rice lends an intriguing texture. It’s flavorful, filling, and it looks good enough to appear on any table. We love the taste, and the bride-to-be can’t wait to try out the recipe! It’s a guaranteed hit for any meal and every occasion.
Serves 8; 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 2/3 cup white long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 1/3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- Preheat oven to 325°F, and grease an 8-inch springform pan or deep-dish pie plate.
- Bring water to boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice and yellow onion. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and most water is absorbed. Cool for 10 minutes before moving on to next step.
- Slowly add cottage cheese, eggs, and 1 cup cheddar cheese into cooked rice, stirring constantly to prevent egg from scrambling. Season with basil, garlic powder, salt, pepper and green onions.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, and bake 40 minutes.
- Top with remaining 1/3 cup of cheese, and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until cheese melts and center is hot.
- Let rice pie stand 5 minutes. Cut, and serve.