We love to find flavorful ways to put a variety of veggies on the dinner table.
We love to find flavorful ways to put a variety of veggies on the dinner table, like this creamy, breadcrumb-topped casserole that features a trendy classic. Shredded Brussels sprouts are sautéed with bacon, onions, and garlic. The flavor is amazing, and we love the texture of shredded sprouts in this gratin-style creation. The rich Parmesan sauce turns this veggie side into something irresistibly delicious.
We top it all with buttery, seasoned breadcrumbs, and it’s the ultimate in cheesy-veggie satisfaction. In our house, this side dish is a favorite. Brussels sprouts are now an “it” vegetable, and we’re glad to see this once-scorned vegetable make a comeback. Get your family on this veggie trend with our quick and easy to make Brussels sprout casserole. It’s absolutely delicious!
Creamy Brussels Sprouts Casserole
Serves 4; 30 minutes
- 6 medium bacon strips
- 1/2 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, shredded
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 9-by-9-inch baking dish with cooking spray or prepare everything in 8-inch ovenproof skillet.
- Cook bacon in skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Sauté onion and garlic in bacon renderings 1 to 2 minutes, until softened. Add Brussels sprouts. Sauté 3 to 5 minutes, until tender crisp. Crumble bacon and return to pan. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish or set ovenproof skillet aside.
- Whisk together heavy cream, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in small bowl. Combine breadcrumbs, remaining 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon of Parmesan, basil, thyme and butter in separate bowl. Pour cream mixture over Brussels sprouts and mix gently to coat. Sprinkle with buttered breadcrumbs.
- Bake in preheated oven, 15 to 20 minutes, until sauce is thick and bubbly. Turn oven to broil. Cook 2 to 3 minutes to brown breadcrumbs. Allow casserole to cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from That Oven Feeling