There are hundreds of delicious ways to prepare chicken and vegetables. This phenomenal couscous casserole is our new favorite! Tender eggplant and yellow squash are the star ingredients. We love the combination of the sweet squash with the unique taste of eggplant, and both veggies add a pop of color.
We added chicken when we served it last night, but the couscous and hearty veggies are more than enough to make this a satisfying meatless dinner. It all cooks up in a creamy sauce, and it’s topped with gooey mozzarella. A heaping scoop of this casserole is just what our hungry crowd wants when they get home at the end of a busy day. It’s hearty, satisfying, and super delicious. This will definitely reappear in our weeknight meal rotation!
Couscous, Chicken and Veggie Casserole
50 minutes to prepare serves 6
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 (10 oz.) package couscous, prepared according to package directions
- 2 cups eggplant, cubed
- 1 cup yellow squash, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (10 oz.) can cream of celery soup
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 13-by-9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in large sauté pan over medium heat. Sauté onions 5 minutes. Add eggplant, mushrooms and squash. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until veggies are tender.
- In a separate bowl, whisk cream of celery soup with vegetable stock. Combine cooked chicken, prepared couscous, and sautéed vegetables in a large bowl. Pour sauce over top of chicken, couscous and veggies.
- Transfer mixture to prepared dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake in preheated oven 20 to 30 minutes until casserole is bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Cooking With Nonna