We recently discovered how easy and versatile kale is. Cooked or raw, there are endless preparations for this deliciously bitter superfood. Packed with antioxidants like beta-carotene and vitamin C, this dark leafy green is the perfect base for a hearty salad. We like to experiment with different vinaigrette dressings, and we haven’t found one that doesn’t pair beautifully with kale.
This recipe calls for a tangy vinaigrette that uses honey and mustard to highlight the crispness of the kale without overpowering the creamy cashews and savory quinoa. We like to add a protein like grilled chicken or fish when we’re craving a heartier meal, but this flavorful salad is also great on its own. Heartiness (and protein) are two great benefits of adding quinoa into the mix. We love to whip up this hearty kale salad for a energy packed lunch or for a simple weeknight dinner.
Chopped Kale Salad
20 minutes to prepare serves 4
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 (5 oz) package flavored quinoa mix; prepared
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup cashews, whole
- 1 cup corn, (optional) roasted
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey, optional
- Combine lemon juice, honey (if using), olive oil and mustard in a small bowl. Whisk until fully combined.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk again and set aside.
- Mix together kale, carrot, corn, bell pepper, avocado and cashews in a large bowl. Add quinoa and toss to incorporate.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine.
Recipe adapted from How Sweet Treats