Grandma used to make the best chocolate cakes. They were fluffy, moist and so decadently delicious. It seemed like she could whip one up in an instant. We called it wacky cake because the recipe sounds absolutely ridiculous: no butter, no milk, and no eggs. We don’t even pick up the mixer! It really is as effortless as it seemed when Grandma made it. We glaze ours with a simple homemade chocolate icing. We make our frosting with butter, but there are several vegan options out there to keep this recipe completely free of dairy products. This cake is so good and so incredibly easy, we’ve served it with no topping at all, and it never disappoints.
Chocolate Wacky Cake
Serves 8-10; 45 minutes plus cooling
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Optional ingredients for homemade frosting:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar, as needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup water, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Combine sugar, flour and cocoa in a large bowl. Stir in baking soda and salt.
- Whisk in oil, vanilla and vinegar, and add water and mix until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until center is done and toothpick comes out clean.
- Prepare optional glaze: Mix butter with 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar until creamy. Add vanilla and cocoa. Stir in 1/3 cup water until smooth. Mix in additional water for thinner frosting, or use more sugar to thicken the mixture. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Allow cake to cool completely before frostng or serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Sweet Little Blue Bird