Everyone is happy with this dish. My family gets a meal topped with cheese, and I get to sneak in a few veggies!
The fresh flavors of zucchini and tomato never fail to remind us of summer. It’s no wonder this always-available duo appears in so many of our favorite year-round recipes. This hearty veggie casserole is a real winner because it’s fairly simple to prepare, extremely versatile, and it tastes incredible!
We use a simple combination of Italian seasonings, but it’s easy to give the dish some French flair or a Tex-Mex kick by switching up the spices and cheeses. It’s also a terrific way to use up any extra ingredients sitting in the freezer or pantry. We love the combination of vegetable goodness with warm, cheesy comfort. It makes a satisfying dinner regardless of the season, and it’s on the table in less than an hour.
Cheesy Turkey and Veggie Casserole
Serves 6; 55 minutes
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup white or brown rice, cooked
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 4 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place sliced zucchini in small bowl and sprinkle with salt. Let stand while preparing other ingredients.
- Brown ground turkey in medium skillet. Transfer to plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Add olive oil to pan with any remaining fat. Sauté onions for 5 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Return turkey to pan with onions and garlic. Season with oregano, basil, thyme and pepper. Simmer 2 to 3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Combine egg with ricotta, Parmesan and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheeses. Add cheese and cooked rice to seasoned meat, stirring until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Spread cheesy rice mixture into bottom of prepared baking dish. Top with overlapping slices of zucchini, then tomato. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes and enjoy!