We love these powerhouse veggies with a crave-worthy cheese sauce.
We know that it can be tricky to get kids to eat their vegetables, but we have a tried-and-true remedy: cheese. We love this broccoli and cauliflower bake because it’s got all the nutritional benefits of these powerhouse veggies, but bathed in a thick and crave-worthy garlic cheese sauce that’s hard to pass up. This is the recipe that gets kids to like broccoli. Really.
The sauce is the star in this dish, and we make it with a traditional roux, so it comes together extra smooth and creamy. Sometimes we add a dollop of mustard for a bit of tang or a pinch of nutmeg for earthiness, depending on what the main dish is. Speaking of main dishes, this is a versatile side that goes great with baked chicken, grilled salmon or even a nice roast. The sky’s the limit when it comes to this cheese sauce, so make a double batch and enjoy it again later in the week.
Cheesy Cauliflower Broccoli Bake
Serves 6; 50 minutes
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1-1/2 cups white cheddar cheese, shredded and divided; 1 cup for sauce, 1/2 cup for topping
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch by 11-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a sauce pot over medium heat. Sprinkle with flour and garlic powder and stir to coat. Pour in milk and heat until thickened, stirring often to avoid lumps.
- Remove from heat and add 1 cup cheese, salt and pepper. Whisk until sauce is smooth.
- Place broccoli and cauliflower in baking dish and cover with cheese sauce. Stir to coat.
- Sprinkle with reserved cheddar cheese and cover dish with aluminum foil. Bake 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are soft and cheese is bubbly. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes or until top is browned.
Recipe adapted from Apple of My Eye