Bring the Caribbean to you by making this sweet and spicy Caribbean chicken dish in your slow cooker!
Who doesn’t love vacationing on a Caribbean island? We do, but it’s just not possible to travel all the time. One way we like to bring the Caribbean to us is by making this sweet and spicy Caribbean chicken dish in our slow cooker. The chicken is so tasty and flavorful, you won’t believe how easy it is to make. Just follow a few steps, and let the slow cooker do the rest. This recipe can be started in the morning before work then finished right before serving. We love coming home to the smell of pineapple, coconut and spices. It’s like coming home to a tropical island!
Slow Cooker Caribbean Chicken
Serves 4; 2hrs active, 4hrs inactive
- 3 pounds chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 can crushed pineapple (16 ounces), drained and juice reserved
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white rice
- 3 cups water
- to taste cilantro
- to taste sesame seeds
- Add oil to skillet, and brown chicken over medium-high heat. Transfer the chicken to a slow cooker with the pineapple juice and crushed pineapple.
- Add onion, garlic, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, ginger, black pepper, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon salt to skillet, and saute for about three minutes.
- Add chicken broth to skillet, stir, then pour mixture over chicken. Cook on high for about three to four hours or on low for approximately six to eight hours.
- Add coconut milk to the slow cooker, and heat for another 30 minutes on low.
- Remove cover and cook another 25 to 30 minutes to reduce and thicken the sauce. Add reserved pineapple juice if sauce becomes too thick.
- Add water, rice and rest of salt to saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat, cover saucepan, and simmer for 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff rice with fork.
- Place rice in bowls, and top with chicken. Garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro.
Recipe adapted from CD Kitchen