There’s great energy packed into each one of these oat squares!
Sometimes we need breakfast on the go, but we still want something healthy. With these breakfast oat squares, we get the goodness and protein of oats, flax, and nuts, as well as the sweetness of maple syrup and banana to make the morning delicious. These delicious oat squares are versatile, as well. Add extra nuts or a different kind of nuts if you like (we just happen to be in love with almonds), or toss in some dried dates or apricots.
Sometimes we add some chocolate chips or white chocolate chips for a little boost of energy and fun. These oat squares are quick to put together at night for the next morning’s breakfast, or whip them up first thing in the morning and toss them in the oven while getting ready for work.
Breakfast Oat Squares
Serves 9-12 servings
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats (not instant oats)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ground flax
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- 1 banana, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Blend oats in a blender or food processor until flour-like in consistency.
- Mix oat flour, flax, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a large bowl until well-blended. Whisk together milk, maple syrup, nut butter, banana and vanilla until smooth.
- Add wet to dry ingredients, and stir until combined. Fold in slivered almonds. Pour into baking dish, smooth evenly to edges.
- Bake 35 minutes until golden around edges and springy when touched. Cool completely before cutting into bars or squares, and store in airtight container for up to 4 days.
Recipe adapted from Oh She Glows